Ohio State University Extension's Family and Consumer Sciences (FCS) promotes healthy living. Along with topics like healthy eating and exercise, mindfulness is gaining recognition as part of a healthy lifestyle in the United States. Ohio State University Extension offers an overview of the science behind the art of mindfulness as well as the health benefits of stress reduction. How can you live a more mindful, less stressed, and healthier life?
WHAT IS MINDFULNESS?
“Mindfulness means paying attention in a particular way: On purpose, in the present moment, and nonjudgmentally.” -- Jon Kabat-Zinn
- Follow the Live Smart Ohio Mind and Body blog
- OSU Extension fact sheets:
The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center recommends mindfulness practice to complement medical treatment to help reduce anxiety, chronic pain, depression, insomnia, and stress. Ohio State’s Center for Integrative Health and Wellness offers free mindfulness recordings for personal use through the OSU Wexner Medical Center. Additional guided imagery downloads are available through the OSU Health Plan.
Just like learning any new skill like cooking, swimming, or riding a bike, mindfulness takes time and practice. Consider listening to a download a few times before you decide it’s not for you. Once you’ve discovered some of your favorite ways to practice mindfulness, keep it up.
Links to resources:
- Handout: Mindfulness Ideas and Activities
- Daily Intention, University of Delaware
- Happify Video: Why Mindfulness Is a Superpower: An Animation. Narrated by Dan Harris, Animation by Katy Davis, December 2015
- Happify Video: How Mindfulness Empowers Us: An Animation Narrated by Sharon Salzberg, animation by Katy Davis, January 2016
- Using Technology:
- Mindful Wellness Team, OSU Extension, Family and Consumer Sciences
WANT TO LEARN MORE?
For more information about the new Ohio State University Extension Mindful Wellness curriculum, contact Darke County Extension Educator Dr. Roseanne Scammahorn at firstname.lastname@example.org or 937-548-5215.